Working Abroad

Many Australia planners are taking advantage of the global profession of planning and spending some of their career working internationally. PIA has over 250 members located across the globe in 36 different countries at present. Below are some links and sites that may be useful if you are thinking about a stint of working overseas.

A great article has been written on the financial aspect of working overseas by Gillian Bullock, ninemsn Money June 2008 called Working Overseas and provides some great points to consider when making the decision to travel.

The Government smart traveller web site also contains useful information for working overseas including the below advise on passports, visas and work permits.

Passports, visas and work permits

Your passport is your most important travel document. All Australian citizens must have a valid passport before leaving Australia and maintain a valid passport while overseas. All children, including newborn infants, must have their own passport. More information on Australian passports can be found at or by calling the Australian Passport Information Service on 131 232 in Australia.

Be aware that countries have different passport validity requirements. Make sure your passport has at least six months validity from your planned date of return to Australia. Carry extra passport photos just in case your passport is lost or stolen and you need to replace it while away.

If you are planning to work overseas, early preparation is essential. Well in advance of leaving Australia, you should find out what rules and regulations apply to obtain a residency or working permit or a working visa by contacting the foreign mission of the country where you want to work.

Remember also to check the visa requirements of countries you might be transiting. Contact details can be found in the White Pages or online at

Some countries require your prospective employer to sponsor you before your work permit or visa can be issued. Find out all the conditions on this before you leave Australia.

Failing to obtain the appropriate working visa or permit before you start your new job may be a criminal act locally and result in your detention and/or removal from the country.

If you intend to depart or re-enter the country you are working in, enquire about a multiple-entry visa.
The APEC Business Travel Card provides streamlined entry to several regional countries for Australians who travel frequently in the Asia-Pacific region for trade and investment. Visit for details.
Working holidays

Australia has reciprocal arrangements with a number of countries which allow Australians to work while on holiday there. The Department of Immigration and Citizenship website at provides information on countries/regions participating in the Working Holiday Program with Australia.

The not-for-profit organisation International Exchange Programs (IEP) specialises in international exchange programs for young Australians who want to work overseas. Further information can be found on the IEP’s website.

Further information including superannuation, tax, health and safety tips can be found at the smart traveler website click here.

Finding Work

Many people are able to secure jobs before heading overseas through the use of job agencies on line. is a web site that lists many job agencies that cover a wide variety of locations as well as containing some hints and tips for Australians wishing to work overseas. This site also includes a number of real life experiences of working overseas and discussion groups that may be of interest.

  • Contact PIA today
  • 02 6262 5933
  • 02 6292 9970
  • PO Box 5427 Kingston ACT 2604