The first Directors of Planning Forum last night was a great success.
PIA NSW partnered with Planning Law Solutions, with Guest Speaker Professor Leslie Stein presenting 'The Last Gasp of NSW Planning Reform: An International Perspective' 29.07.14
Carolyn McNally has been formally appointed as the Secretary of the Department of Planning and Environment.
Visit the Department of Planning & Environment's Media Centre page to view Premier Mike Baird's Media Release
The Bays Precinct Redevelopment Project Update
NSW Premier's Media Release
Opinion Piece - Sustainable suburbia?
Would Mad Men’s Don Draper feel at home in one of the ever-expanding suburbs on the margins of our major cities? I think so.
Romilly Madew, Chief Executive, GBCA
Click here to view article
Biodiversity legislation review
The NSW Minister for the Environment has appointed an independent panel to undertake a comprehensive review of the Native Vegetation Act 2003, Threatened Species Conservation Act 1995 and related biodiversity legislation (link to the website).
PIA NSW is part of the stakeholders engaged in the comprehensive legislation review and is looking for members who would like to contribute to PIA’s inputs and responses into the review. Please email PIA NSW Environment Chapter chair Javier Valderrama if you are interested in participating.
Your future NSW to 2031: Population, Household & Dwelling Projections
The NSW Government has released updated population, household and dwelling projections providing a detailed assessment on how our population is expected to change over the next 20 years. The projections show NSW growing by 100,500 people on average each year to 2031. Click here to view all the projections
CBD and South East Light Rail (CSELR) Project Update No. 5 | July 2014
Latest news on light rail in Sydney
Employment Lands Strategy - 2014 to 2019 - City of Sydney
To view strategy click here
Call for Comments on - A renewed Local Planning Strategy for Newcastle
Thank you to those who made comments on the previous working papers. You will find your comments in the finalisation of the relevant working paper.
Working Paper Nine: Hazards is available for comment until Monday 28 July 2014
Working Paper Nine, titled “Hazards”, is now available for comment and can be found at: this link or the Newcastle Region Library on Laman Street, or Customer Enquiry Centre, 282 King Street, Newcastle.
Transport Committee Report
Below are a list of issues discussed at the recent meeting.
- Transport Chapter to lead Second Sydney Airport/Western Sydney Airport tasks. Prepare and circulate draft dot points.
- Note Master plans for Sydney Airport KSA was approved in 2014 and T1/T2/T3 Ground Access Solutions and Hotel PRELIMINARY DRAFT MAJOR DEVELOPMENT PLAN is currently on display till 22 Sept 2014. Chapter is considering a response.
- TfNSW / DPI transport and land use forum - next opportunity to PIA to be involved ?
- Watching brief on North Connex ( M2-F3/M1 link) and on M9 outer orbital motorway
- SMH editorial of 30 June was discussed – re private rail operator and sale of assets. Chapter supports rail trails, in that they activate an underutilised corridor but still preserve the route for future re-use if required.
- Clarify planning process for West Connex. PIA was briefed in the project as it stood in 2013, but there are reported to be major changes to the proposals being considered. The NSW Government has asked the WestConnex Delivery Authority to come back to government by the end of the year with detailed analysis on whether the northern and southern extensions are possible, and unlikely to be released to public until 2015.
- The Chapter considered thoughts from the last meeting that the issue about town centres being origins or destinations is a significant issue particularly from a land use planning perspective (TOD etc) and that the Department of Planning don't seem to recognise its importance. Noted Lifestyle TODs vs. Commuter TODs. Noted important in Urban Activation Precinct work too. The example of Southbank in Brisbane works. Not sure how we might get some traction of this matter - maybe through the PIA planning group?
Colin Henson, Henson Consulting
Introducing PIA NSW new Learning Development Specialist -
Molina joins PIA NSW in this pivotal role, with her extensive experience in delivering marketing campaigns, project planning for conferences and events, administration, budget planning, professional customer service, creative writing, relationship building, visual images, presentations, IT knowledge for leading nonprofit and corporate, in the educational industry. She is a highly competitive, passionate, persuasive and articulate individual and I feel confident that Molina will be a great asset for PIA NSW in the delivery of the newly revamped CPD and Events Program.
If you’d like to contact Molina, please feel free to send her an email.
NSW eNews is the monthly newsletter of the NSW Division and features our Ask Gadens column.
To view the latest e-news
Previous editions of the Ask Gadens column can be accessed here
New Planner is the quarterly magazine of the NSW Division. Advertising opportunities for 2014 are now available; for rates and contributor guide please follow this link.
The 2013 PIA NSW Awards for Planning Excellence were presented on the
7th November 2013.
Click here for the list of winners